Nesting

Welcome to my blog about my Nesting Agreement

Saturday 2 April 2011

Butt Crack Engineering Lessons

The Nest needs some sprucing up.  My first project was to paint the trim in the main bathroom white.  The previous owner had painted it a hideous deep rose color while the walls were a sage green.  My initial thoughts were to lighten up the trim which would make the bathroom passable and then paint the walls a wonderful, cheerful yellow when I had time (I went ahead and bought the paint for the walls in an effort to save another trip to the hardware store - I'm learning).  The trim project was fairly uneventful and my 8 year old daughter helped so it was a great way to spend time with her and teach her how to paint.  I was satisfied with the trim and was correct that it made the bathroom passable until I had time to paint the walls. 

My caregiver asked me in passing if she could paint the walls and I said sure, not thinking to ask if she knew how to paint.  The very next day my daughter tells me that the bathroom is almost finished!  When I finally arrive back at the nest (it was my week at the townhouse) I was shocked to find yellow paint on the walla AND the freshly painted trim, the ceiling (which is white) and on all the other items on the walls (towel bar, toilet tissue bar, mirror, light fixture and even the nails that were left in the wall) all of which I had planned to remove.  Since I have been accused of being critical in the past I decided to tell my caregiver what a great job she did and then explained that you have to TAPE THE TRIM and all other items first (in a nice, teaching sort of way)!

I decided to remove the towel bar and the toilet tissue holder with a hammer and screwdriver.  I was shocked to find 3 fairly large holes in my wall when I was finished (now I know why my ex husband double dared me to do this in the past)!  So, I consulted the Internet and then a dear friend (aka butt crack engineer) to seek guidance.  I decided, after reviewing all the options, to cut drywall into small pieces and spackle the holes.  Guess what this meant?  ANOTHER TRIP TO THE HARDWARE STORE!  Drywall knives are expensive and sharp!  I already had an extra piece of drywall in the garage - bonus!

So today I decided to tackle the first step of the hole patching process.  I wrestled the drywall  onto the garbage can in the driveway.  I used the templates that I had made from the holes in the walls to draw the squares onto the drywall.  Then I cut the pieces, put the drywall back, had to get my 10 year old son help me put all the crap back that fell over in the garage when I pulled the drywall out and then ran upstairs to start the patching process.  I had to cut the first square down a little more since it was too big.  Then I decided it was easier to make the hole in the wall bigger.  I pushed the little piece of drywall and pushed and then beat it a bit and IT WENT RIGHT THROUGH AND DROPPED BEHIND THE WALL!  Now, I need to point out that my dear friend had advised me to screw a piece of wood into the area so this wouldn't happen but I didn't listen.  After taking a break and consulting with my butt crack engineer I tackled another piece.  This went much smoother.  I buttered the spackle onto the piece which helped keep it in place.  This reminded me of decorating cakes.  The spackle is a bright pink color and I was tempted to lick my fingers a number of times.  I emailed a picture of my first patch job to my friend a got an "at a girl"!  I did hole number two and then felt super human!  I ran downstairs, drug out the drywall, cut another piece and left the drywall in the driveway while I ran upstairs to repair hole number 3 (my momma didn't raise no fool).  By now, I'm a master at this!  I look at my work and realize that I can do anything!  I also have a new appreciation for these types of projects and the men that dread tackling them.  I put the drywall back (didn't need it again after all), straightened the garage and put the drywall cutting tool in my overflowing toolbox!  As soon as I vacuum the floor then I can rest while the spackle dries which I am advised should be overnight.  Tomorrow I will sand and then paint!

I may replace the yellow stained trim with new trim.  I am not sure if I'll need a special saw or not; must consult BCE.  I am definitely going to replace the light fixture which I figure I can do by myself.  And then my bathroom will be fresh and bright!  It's turned into a big project but I love learning and I really can do anything that I set my mind to do! 

Next project - redo the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment